Monday, October 19, 2015

CHEF SWEAT, IT'S IRONIC, SMILED HIS LIFE AWAY, GIANT, MEMBERS WHO SACRIFICED THEIR TIME, Staffanstorp, MOVING MASS OF SQUIRMING CHILDREN, THE DARKNESS RETURNS

CHEF SWEAT
Some people know me as Demetri. Others know me as Äldste Sweat. In the kitchen, it's Chef Sweat.
IT'S IRONIC
I don't know how to explain this picture, other than that I think it's ironic.
SMILED HIS LIFE AWAY
On Wednesday, we went to Staffanstorp to visit an elderly member named Peter. We wanted to see how things were going for him, and ask if there was something we could do to help out. It was refreshing to meet him. I had never met him before, so I did not know what to to expect. But as we walked into the restaurant I was met by a face that is best described as being smiley. His whole demeanor was one of a person who has smiled his life away. He talked about his experience of coming to church, showed us pictures of previous missionaries he'd met, and gave us an opportunity to catch a glimpse of his past that made him who he is today. His conviction of the gospel was invigorating, and I am grateful for people like him.
GIANT
I had mentioned in an earlier entry that everything is smaller in Sweden. But I got a kick out of this. Giant bikes seem to be quite small. But that's just Swedish. :)
MEMBERS WHO SACRIFICED THEIR TIME
On Friday, we usually do what is called weekly planning. It's pretty self explanatory, but we call a lot of people. Most of the time it takes between 3 and 4 hours to complete it. We began the journey, and about 30 minutes in, we called a few people. The first person we called said they had time that day to meet; it would cut into our planning time, so we decided to try and find a different time. The next person we called said to come on over that day as well. We decided if it happened twice, we should just take it. So we set up appointments for an hour later, and we began scrambling to figure out the logistics. Elder Rowley went to one appointment, and I headed to the other. As missionaries we can't just split up whenever we want, so we had to organize some splits. Long story short, we found ourselves sitting down at lessons with members who sacrificed their time to come with us. And it went awesome! I was impressed with their willingness to serve, and on such short notice. When I look back on the experience and think of the craziness of it all, I realize my writing does not do it justice. But it was fun to see those ward members come together with us.

Staffanstorp
This is a little town outside of Malmö called Staffanstorp. Elder Rowley and I were confused, because it was so peaceful. I hadn't realized how used I'd become to all the noises of the city until we went to Staffanstorp. It was almost an uncomfortable silence. But we returned back to Malmö later that day, and I was back in my element.
MOVING MASS OF SQUIRMING CHILDREN
One more short experience. We got to help teach the primary kids who are between 6 and 8 years-old. I've talked a little about another experience teaching them. But this time was a riot. I am amazed at the amount of knowledge these kids know. They were tossing out answers to questions that I felt like I didn't know until I had gone to seminary. The whole class was a moving mass of squirming children, but their minds were just as focused as mine (take that as you will). It was a delight to have that chance to be with them again. 

THE DARKNESS RETURNS
The Darkness Returns

No comments:

Post a Comment