Monday, October 12, 2015

DR. SEUSS SOCCER FIELD, ELDER ROWLEY AND I, WARRIORS, EACH OF US HAS GREAT POTENTIAL, I ONLY BELIEVE IN SCIENCE

DR. SEUSS SOCCER FIELD


The Dr. Seuss soccer field. We played as a district last Monday, and it was quite the experience.

ELDER ROWLEY AND I
Elder Rowley and I couldn't decide which of the dogs best represented us.

WARRIORS
While I can't say that the mission was meant to be fun, there are definitely those moments. We were asked by the ward to accompany the youth on a mission of adrenaline and stealth. We are not by any means the warriors Teancum or Moroni were, but we did give it our best in the war of paint-balling. 

EACH OF US HAS GREAT POTENTIAL
This Thursday, I went on an exchange in Lund, leaving Elder Rowley behind to take care of the area for his first time. And he did magnificently. I was with Elder Higgins in Lund. My first time meeting Elder Higgins was his first morning in Sweden, nearly 8 months ago. At that time he was tired, worried about Swedish, but pressing forward. This last Thursday, I found myself with a seasoned veteran. Something that only time and experience can create, and it's amazing to think of all the experiences that has gone into shaping each of us. I feel like I don't see it as easily in myself, but seeing that change in Elder Higgins was awesome. I found myself sitting by him as we taught lessons in Swedish, no longer with words uncomfortably stumbling out. Being a missionary is a time of growth, and it shapes us in a way that will help us reach a greater potential. Each of us have great potential.

 I ONLY BELIEVE IN SCIENCE
"I only believe in science." What was once a humorous statement from the movie Nacho Libre, has seemingly become the statement heralded by people all over Sweden. There are so many that are convinced by that which science offers. And I must say, I believe in science as well. However, I used to think that it was widely understood that science is imperfect and incomplete. We read about theories and hypothesis. Each of these are written with room for exception. If we took a look at the science we have today and compared it to what we had 200 years ago, it would be amazing to see the growth. So often, people seem to be focused on the narrow scope that scientific discoveries offer, when in reality, their picture is obscured by doubt and human limitations. As we speak to people each day, we do it with the intent to show them a way they can find their own knowledge. It must sound funny, hearing a 21 year-old kid trying to offer advice on life. Not only here on Earth, but in the life to come. But that's what we have. We have a way to expand our understanding and receive more light. People reject us, because they do not understand what they could have. 

No comments:

Post a Comment