Monday, August 31, 2015

EMERIL WOULD BE PROUD, TURN TO THE SOURCE OR YOUNG, INEXPERIENCED KIDS, WHAT I WANT TO BE, FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL JITTERS, FRESHLY PAINTED

 EMERIL WOULD BE PROUD
I want to make sure that my mom knows I'm eating well. I was looking for a snack -- saw the pasta and Nutella, and bam! Even Emeril would be proud. It was quite tasty.
TURN TO THE SOURCE OR YOUNG, INEXPERIENCED KIDS
On Tuesday, Fluter brought one of his friends with him. His name is Anas, and he hails from Jordan. We sat down and began discussing what it is that we do, getting to know his background, and just getting to know each other. He explained that he had a Mormon friend before, and he was curious about what it is that we stand for. He said, "If you want to know about something, you turn to the source." 

Basically, if you want to know about Mormons, ask the missionaries. They can help you. :) But he wanted to establish one thing before we got started. He asked us how old we were. Elder Rowley said he was 18, then  I told him I was 21. Almost instantly relief came to his face, and he said, "Oh good, then you have some wisdom." 
Haha, then he followed up by saying that he thought I was 16 years old... This hasn't been the first time I've gotten that either. I've even got 15 before. So now I'm beginning to wonder if people think that a 16 year old kid is trying to stop them on the street to talk to them about God. Maybe I should start by letting them know I'm 21, I don't know. 
But what came after was great. We began explaining the background of The Book of Mormon and why it's important to us today. Then the flood of questions began, one after another. And about an hour later. He was out of questions. He said, "I'm content. You guys have satisfactorily answered all my questions." And I can tell you, it feels great to hear those words come out of someone's mouth. Of course, we then explained that it doesn't stop there. We can answer questions all day long, but we received our answers from somewhere; they didn't simply formulate. It takes study and prayer to understand the mysteries of God. And just like at the beginning when he talked about going to the source, we sent him directly there and explained that his answers can come through prayer. And they can and will. And that is an exciting truth for missionaries, young, inexperienced kids, to proclaim. 

WHAT I WANT TO BE
On Wednesday we celebrated the birthday of the oldest member in our ward. At the youthful age of 96, I am amazed by her enthusiasm and joy. She met missionaries and joined the church when she was 70 years old. And about 5 years later, she was called to be in charge of all the young children as Primary President. That's quite a daunting task for one as young as myself, and I know it takes a lot of energy. But she accepted it and magnified the work she did. 20 years later, she still remembers the names of those kids she lifted. She has an interest in where they are, how they're progressing, and again, my mind was blown. She rattled off names like they were filed away in some hard drive listed in front of her eyes. I made it a goal that I want to be the same way when I hit that age. Of course, maybe it's just good genes. But I believe lifestyle is also essential. She continues her study of The Book of Mormon and other scriptures. She continues to try and lift others, and these are things that add life to people. In Christ we are all made alive, and as we seek to follow Him, we understand that a little bit more. I am grateful that there are people I can look to like Märta who are living examples of what I want to be. 

FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL JITTERS
It's that time of the year. Michael headed off to college this last Tuesday evening. I felt all the jitters of first day of school returning again, but then I remembered, nothing's changing for me. It's all one eternal round. But I'm bummed to see him go. We'll miss him in the ward. 
FRESHLY PAINTED
Freshly painted, this wall just popped out to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment