Monday, November 9, 2015

NICE VIEW OF THE CITY, THE ONE WE NEEDED, HOW OUR HALLOWEEN WAS SPENT, MAYBE SMILING KEEPS US LOOKING YOUNG OR SOMETHING, I LOVE THE WAY THE WARD LIFTED WHERE THEY STAND, A BEAUTIFUL PLACE TO SPEND THE FALL, WALKING HISTORY

NICE VIEW OF THE CITY

These are some of the Elders in my zone. We got together and climbed on the hills to get a nice view of the city. 

THE ONE WE NEEDED
Sunday evening we had a lesson set up with a lady named Monica. We tried calling a few members who we thought would be good to have in our lesson with us. Unfortunately, for various reasons, they could not make it. We were thinking about it, and then another member we hadn't thought of popped up. We decided to ask him, and he gladly agreed to help. We met Thomas (the member) outside of Monica's building, and headed to her door. None of us had met her before, so we weren't quite sure what to expect, but when she let us in, we found out that Thomas and Monica had actually met before. Thomas would buy groceries from the place Monica worked, and they'd talked a few times. Then as we talked, we discussed what she thought about the Church, any worries she had, etc. And as we talked about some of her main worries, Thomas jumped in with his own experiences. He talked about overcoming his own struggles, and I couldn't help but be amazed. He wasn't the first person we had thought of, but he turned out to be the one we needed. 

HOW OUR HALLOWEEN WAS SPENT

This really should have been with last week. This is Alla Helgons Dag. Basically, this is how our Halloween was spent. There aren't any huge cemeteries in Kungsbacka, but the one we found was a beautiful sight to see. 
MAYBE SMILING KEEPS US LOOKING YOUNG OR SOMETHING
On Friday, we met Eustadius. Again, I had never met him before. But as soon as he walked around the corner, he had a smile on his face. I couldn't help but smile as well. They can be quite contagious. We had our lesson, and had a good discussion. But more than anything else, I was impressed with his positive outlook on life. He had his own problems and worries, but he is doing it with a smile on his face. I may add that we thought he was in his late twenties, but he told us he was 44. So maybe smiling keeps us looking young or something. But I appreciated his positive attitude.

WATCHING AS A HAS BEEN

We were walking through the neighborhood when the lights caught my attention. We were the only people walking out on the street, and the moment just seemed so poetic. The misting rain seemed to quiet the entire night, and all we could hear was the tweet of the whistle and players communicating. Then I realized that I was watching as a has been. I never thought I'd be in that position, but that's where I am now. Or maybe I'm a never was, hahaha.  

I LOVE THE WAY THE WARD LIFTED WHERE THEY STAND
I'm not sure how much the conflict in Syria is talked about at home, but it is a pressing issue here. Every day there are families looking for a new place to call home. They walk, drive, or do whatever they can to find a land of peace. I can only imagine their thoughts as they come into the new land. I felt overwhelmed, and I had people waiting for me at the airport. I had a warm home, food, and friends to welcome me. I still felt out of place. So I can't imagine what they are going through. But one of the things that we got to help with this week was a flea market for children. The members in the ward decided to help out and began organizing the project. There was a lot of effort put in, and it turned out great. All the money that people paid for the stuff went directly, by text, to help the refugees. We can't stop the conflict in Syria, and we may not have the means to help every person in need. But I loved the way the ward lifted where they stand. They made an effort to help their brothers and sisters in need. 

A BEAUTIFUL PLACE TO SPEND THE FALL

One of the big differences between Skåne and Göteborg is trees. Trees and their "mountains" which are really rocky hills of granite. But it is a beautiful place to spend the fall. 

WALKING HISTORY
On Thursday we were in Varberg. Our bus cards don't work down there, so we were walking to visit some people when we found ourselves on this little path by some suburbs. We hadn't seen many people walking past, due to the rain, but then this lady came along. We started talking to her, and we found out that she was the first woman in Sweden to get a hunting license. And even now, at 75 years old, she is an avid hunter. Unfortunately, she's not hunting for the truth, but I was nonetheless impressed. She is walking history. 


No comments:

Post a Comment