Monday, November 23, 2015

TODAY IS GOING TO BE EXCEPTIONAL, KUNGSBACKA, NOVEMBER 23, 2015, I COULD HAVE BEEN AT GRANDMA'S HOUSE, ENDLESS FIELDS,


TODAY IS GOING TO BE EXCEPTIONAL
When we stepped out of the apartment this morning, the first thing noticed was how cold it was. We had a drop of 15 degrees from yesterday to today. The next thing I noticed was the beautiful morning sky. It's not often we see it blue, so today is going to be exceptional.


KUNGSBACKA
This is the main square in Kungsbacka. We live in the buildings behind me. It's a cute little Swedish city teeming with people.
NOVEMBER 23, 2015

Another shot of this morning. This is actually the first time we had to scrape our car windows.  November 23, 2015:  Not bad considering how far north we are.
I COULD HAVE BEEN AT GRANDMA'S HOUSE
Just before I left Malmö, one of the members asked me to go visit a friend in a city outside of Kungsbacka. Of course I agreed, and headed on my way. I guess I should back track a little bit first. I have talked about this member before. Her name is Märta, and she is 96 years old. She has physical impairments that make life that much tougher, but she has a love for life that is invigorating. I'd also received an autobiography from her as a gift. I had glanced through it a few times, but this week I decided to pull out my Swedish-English dictionary and learn some new words. She writes with an eloquence in Swedish that dwarfs my little conversational vocabulary, but as I got deeper into her story, I found it more and more compelling. We see people as they are, and they can be wonderful. We may appreciate them as they are, but each person has a story. Their own experiences: the good and the bad. It was cool to learn her history and see what she had experienced. As I read, I was reminded of her friend and we made the preparations to make the trip to her house. When we showed up, there was some ice to be broken, but once we got past that, I felt like I could have been at Grandma's house. We talked about Märta and how these two know each other. She gave us some of her homemade baked goods, and we talked about what we do as missionaries. She let us in only because she knows that Märta asked us to come, and it was such a good reminder to me of the good influence we can have on other people through our lives and examples.

ENDLESS FIELDS

Those green hills in the background are a pretty typical sight for Kungsbacka. No mountains are towering in the sky, but they break up the monotony of endless fields.



No comments:

Post a Comment