Monday, February 8, 2016

WE LOOK NEAT AND WELL KEPT, WE DIDN'T SAY NO, I AM CONVINCED GOD IS THERE,THE ENTIRE FLOCK EXPLODED AND TURNED TAIL, PRAYER---A SIMPLE, YET BEAUTIFUL PRIVILEGE, SPLITS WITH ELDER COX



WE LOOK NEAT AND WELL KEPT
This last Tuesday, Elder Muirhead and I were walking along the streets talking to people, when we ran into a gymnasiet student (high schooler). We were surprised when he asked US if we could meet. He needed to interview a representative from the Church of Jesus Christ, and we happened to talk to him that day. The interest level didn't go much further than his grade, but him and his friends brought up some interesting questions. One of my favorite things that they highlighted was the fact that we look neat. Just in general, as a church, we look neat and well kept. I think it's a wonderful compliment to each of the members. We explained, of course, that it is because we believe that we should respect our bodies and dressing in a modest way is part of that.


WE DIDN'T SAY NO
This Tuesday, we will be officially celebrating what is called Fat Tuesday.
 It is accompanied with these delicious rolls shown above. They are called semlor.

Inside is an almond paste topped with some homemade whipped cream.
It wasn't quite Fat Tuesday when we were presented with these delicacies, but we didn't say no. 
I AM CONVINCED GOD IS THERE
On Wednesday, we met with a guy named Fredrick for our first time. As soon as I stepped into his apartment, I almost died. It was like stepping into a small recording studio. I took a minute to admire his equipment, and he played us a few things. Then we moved on to a lesson and discussion on faith. He described the way he found God in a simple way. He did not always have the belief, but there came a time in his life where he had no one else to turn to. The interesting thing was that he when he described his experience, he explained that because of it, he is convinced that there is a God. We then talked about how we can have these experiences over and over again. It's not meant to be just a one time experience, and he agreed. When we left, I felt uplifted as I realized the experiences I have had in my life. And I can say, I am convinced God is there. It's definitely a comfort for me.


THE ENTIRE FLOCK EXPLODED AND TURNED TAIL
This is a screenshot from a short video we had taken.
 We came across a flock of ducks, and Elder Cox lifted up The Book of Mormon.
In that moment, the entire flock exploded in front of him and turned tail.
We are still not quite sure what that means.
PRAYER---A SIMPLE, YET BEAUTIFUL PRIVILEGE
On Saturday, we had our appointment with Martina, the lady who asked us to come back next week. Her friend, Kristina was there, and we had a wonderful discussion together. She described herself as the typical Swede. Not really a belief in God -- goes to church for marriages, funerals, etc. But to end our meeting, she offered a prayer. Her first prayer. One part stuck out to me, as she said I'm praying for my first time, and maybe I should have done this a long time ago. But it's never too later to start. Prayer is something that is meant to help us. A comfort that our Father is there for us. And it's something that is for everyone. Sometimes a prayer is sent from a pleading heart in a dark time, and other times a prayer is a song of joy as we thank God for the life we have. But a prayer is a time to speak with our Father who loves us. What a simple, yet beautiful privilege. 
 
SPLITS WITH ELDER COX 
A little playground that Elder Cox and I came across when we were on splits this last Wednesday.
 1 Nephi 13:10-13

No comments:

Post a Comment